Saturday, January 12, 2019

Introduction: Welcome!


Hello there! Welcome to my cove!
Hello, science enthusiasts! Hello, animal lovers! Hello, conservationists! Welcome to the first ever stream of bubbles containing interesting information from this little corner of the California coastline. I'm Shelby, and I'm here to offer some insight on the health and function of some of the most important features of Northern California's coastal ecosystems.
I've always been interested in marine biology, every since I was a kid. What area I wanted to study changed several times from childhood to college. It went from marine mammals, to the rocky intertidal zone, to invertebrate zoology, to fisheries biology. The nice thing about the undergraduate stage of college is that you can go in with the first general idea of what you want to do, and then find the second, slightly smaller general idea of what you want to do. Six years of undergrad at Sonoma State University gave me fisheries biology as my main umbrella. I've always loved fishing, and college gave me a healthy appreciation for the kind of science that goes in to understanding the care and management of our this important resource. My undergraduate research units focused on the physiological aspect of marine biology, particularly in regards to marine invertebrates.
Image result for abalone live
This is an abalone, my favorite marine invertebrate. It's basically a giant sea snail.
After graduating I spent a year volunteering as an assistant/intern under a team of Fish and Wildlife scientists at the UC Davis Bodega Marine Laboratory. This experience did me a triple service. It gave me a clearer view of the path I wanted to take as a marine scientist, showing me that yes, I did want to go to grad school and get a higher degree (not just because getting a good job in marine biology with only a bachelor's degree is not an easy task). It showed me the specific, micro area of study I wanted to focus on should I conduct my own independent research. I therefore plan to study the physiological effects of long term starvation on marine invertebrates when I do get to grad school.
The third service my volunteer work performed was to, ultimately, open my eyes to the current state of my county's and a nearer county's coastal ecosystems. I went in hoping to learn about invertebrate fisheries biology and management. What I found, in addition, was a distressing reality reflecting the impact of climate change on the kelp forests of Sonoma and Mendocino Counties. These changes have impacted the kelp forest ecosystems throughout the food web, and are even impacting us. But I never would have known this if I had not taken the opportunity to learn about it. And I realized that very few people are likely to learn about it. This plight on our kelp forests isn't exactly widely advertised, and the people who hear about it third hand tend to take it with either a grain of salt, or take it with outright antagonism. I learned about the plight, and it's driven me to do more. It's influence what area of marine science I want to focus on, what kind of career I want to have. I want to help in every way I can. But I've also realized that what I can do as a scientist, alone, isn't enough. This is a big problem that effects a wide pool, so to speak. There's only so much one—or even a dozen—scientists can do. More people need to know about it; more people need to care, if change is going to happen.
kelp cover maps
This is a comparison of  kelp forest coverage over four important Northern Californian abalone fishery sites between 2008 and 2014. The cause was climate change, and the effects of this change are still being felt today. Source: https://cdfwmarine.wordpress.com/2016/03/30/perfect-storm-decimates-kelp/ 
So, I've decided that in addition to my path towards becoming a career marine biologist, I also want to bring these issues more forward into the public eye. I want to raise awareness. I want to educate people. I want to inspire people to get involved. I want to give people the information needed to awaken that potential interest in preserving our marine resources. Eventually, I want to raise money to give to those organizations working to help fix this problem. But I can't do this alone. So, I'm turning to you, other people, to help me in this endeavor. Whether you are already scientifically inclined or not, I'd like your help. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, you are the first step. I want to teach you about marine science.
abalone and kelp
This abalone is looking for food in an unusual place, since there isn't enough to go around. Source:https://cdfwmarine.wordpress.com/2016/03/30/perfect-storm-decimates-kelp/ 
My hope is if people are able to learn about these things in a more digestible manner, they'll want to get involved. Seeing these animals and natural features will make people want to keep them around, even if it's just for resource use. If I can interest you, maybe you'll listen to me. Maybe you'll take these problems seriously. Maybe you'll want to help. That's what this blog, and other subsequent social media platforms (because I plan on making a lot), are for. This is just an introduction, step one of a much larger plan. My goal is to eventually build enough of a following to warrant a charity KickStarter by next year. It might be a long shot, but I think it's possible. I think we can do it.
If you're interested in learning some marine science and California's kelp forest ecosystems, please follow this blog and keep an eye out for more social media platforms. I'll start lessons with next week's post, starting with what specifically is happening to our kelp forests. If you're curious, tune in to find out!
Stay curious.
"Sea" you next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment